Dr. Shvetha Murthy ZarekM.D., FACOG
Hi Friends! I am Dr. Zarek (“Zair-eck”) and I serve as the Medical and Practice IVF Director of Oma Fertility in St. Louis. A second generation doctor and proud daughter of immigrants, I became a mother in medical school and in doing so, found my North Star. My life’s mission is to support folks in becoming parents and provide them with the best possible fertility experience.
I am a proud Hoya, receiving a Bachelor of Science from Georgetown University with Honors in Biochemistry and the Department of Chemistry Award in Scholastic Distinction. Through the support of the Dr. J.W. and M.U. Lawson Memorial Scholarship, I attended the University of Virginia School of Medicine. In residency, I served as the Administrative Chief Resident and co-Chair of the Medical Education Committee the George Washington University and then trained across the river at the National Institutes of Health for fellowship in REI where I was lucky to work with renowned and brilliant mentors in REI and epidemiology who supported my thesis work in studying the value of anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH) in predicting fecundability.
For over 15 years, particularly in the Midwest, I have supported patients with their fertility journeys. I was saddened that no matter how hard our team worked to soothe the physical and psychological ache of infertility, there was one especially painful thorn that I could not remove: the extraordinary cost of fertility treatment.
Joining the Oma Team has been a joy because we all share the same goal: to provide accessible, highly successful and unparalleled fertility patient care. I am a double board certified Reproductive Endocrinologist with an interest in IUI, IVF, ovulation induction techniques, PCOS, male factor infertility, and third party reproduction. Oma Fertility welcomes individuals of all backgrounds.
Before joining Oma Fertility, I was the Director of IVF and an Assistant Professor in the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Missouri. I am super grateful to be recognized by my incredibly talented colleagues as a St. Louis Magazine Top Doctor, Best in Missouri Life Magazine Top Doctor, and a Castle Connolly Top Doctor. What brings me so much joy is to serve as President of the Board of Directors and a Speaker for Girls in the Know of St. Louis, a local empowerment and education non-profit for pre-teen girls. Married to my college sweetheart, we have two sons, two daughters and two rescue German Shepherds, Mona and Tiff. I am proud to say they are also huge fans of the Blues #lgb, “I Love Lucy”, old school hip hop, books, and world travel. They also inherited a rather encyclopedic interest in celebrity gossip which only comes in handy for Trivia Nights.
While all the leadership positions, publications and awards are awesome, the best gift of all is the incredible teamwork that goes into helping our beloved patients become doting parents and to witness all their doubts and struggles melt away when they meet their little one.
Come visit us! We are looking forward to welcoming and taking care of you!
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: Georgetown University
- Medical School: University of Virginia
- Residency: George Washington University
- Fellowship: National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility (American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- Ovulation induction techniques
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Male factor infertility
- Egg Donor, Sperm Donor, Gestational Carrier
- Egg Freezing
Awards & Recognition
- St. Louis Magazine Top Doctor
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor
- Best of in Missouri Life Top Doctor
- #1 Reproductive Endocrinologist in Missouri on RateMDs
- ASRM In-Training Awards for Research, Top rated Abstract
- Society for Gynecologic Investigation Pfizer President’s Presenter Award
- APGO Excellence in Faculty Teaching Award
- Voluntary Faculty Teaching Award, Kane Kodek Honor Society
- Resident of the Year Award
- Holy Cross Hospital Chief Resident Award