Dr. Karenne FruMD/PhD, FACOG
I am originally from Cameroon, West Africa, and immigrated to the United States to complete my education with the love and support of my family based out of Atlanta. I am now a proud wife and mom to two lovely daughters. When not at work, I’m an avid gardener, dancer, chef and amateur photographer who raises chickens.
I completed a BA in Biology at Wesleyan College in Macon, GA. Then matriculated at the Medical College of Georgia completing both MD and PhD degrees and became the first black MD/PhD that program had ever graduated. The focus of my PhD dissertation was in periovulatory events in the rhesus monkey. My four year Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB/GYN) residency was completed at Prisma hospital in Greenville, SC. I was so in love with women’s health care that I chose to subspecialize and pursued Fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD. I am currently double board certified in OB/GYN and REI.
I’m passionate about patient advocacy and education, mending gaps in access to care by minority and other special populations, ovulatory dysfunction, fibroid management and mental health support in the context of reproductive care. To that end, I have been very deliberate about centering my practice around the vulnerable patient and making my patients’ goals my goals, too. I have extensive experience being a patient myself and bring this background, as well as medical training, to all of my patient interactions.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: Wesleyan College
- Medical School: Medical College of Georgia
- Residency: Prisma Hospital
- Fellowship: National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility (American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
- General infertility treatments
- Access to care by minority and other special populations
- Mental Health Support in Reproduction
- Ovarian Dysfunction
Awards & Recognition
- 2015 Best New Investigator poster award, Society for Reproductive Investigation
- 2014 Summer Research Mentor Award
- 2012 NIH-NMA Academic Medicine Fellow with Travel Award
- 2011 Golden Apple Teaching Award (Greenville Memorial Hospital)
- 2009, 2010, Stellar Star Award (Greenville Memorial Hospital)